In the Sacrament of Confirmation a person becomes a full member of the Catholic Church. Confirmation completes the sacramental grace of baptism. It is a celebration of the presence of the Holy Spirit with us, and a confirming of the spiritual gifts given to us at baptism by the Holy Spirit that will help us to live the way that Jesus has taught us to live. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are Wisdom, Understanding, Knowledge, Counsel (Right Judgment), Fortitude (Courage), Piety (Reverence), and Fear of the Lord (Wonder and Awe).
In accordance with Diocesan Sacramental Policies, Confirmation will now be a two year program beginning in the eighth grade with the sacrament celebrated in the Spring of the teens freshmen year of High School.
Preparation Requirements & Dates:
- Weekly Mass attendance
- Retreat: Saturday, February 4, at St. Lawrence Church,
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Includes 4:00 p.m. Mass; families attend the Mass.
- Service Projects: You will be given different opportunities to sign up for. Some at the parish, others may be off site.
- Living Stations of the Cross: The presentation will be on Palm Sunday, April 9. Most practices will be during Monday classes in March. Practice on Saturday, April 8
- Youth Activities: Participation in Youth Gatherings and Events. Flyers will be sent home for the different events. There will be a Youth Mass in November and in January. A lock in/retreat for Grades 8-12 will be January 15. (optional)
- Next meeting with Parents: Monday, April 24, discussion on Year Two Preparation.